The backyard pool can be great summer fun, but it can also be a source of danger for children. Every year hundreds of children fatally drown. In fact, drowning is the leading cause of preventable death among children ages 1-4.¹, ²
If you have a pool or spa, here are seven simple tips to keep your children and their friends safe during swim season.
Seven Safety Tips to Save Lives
- Adult SupervisionAlways be present when children are using the pool. As any parent knows, it only takes moments for children to place themselves in dangerous situations, so stay attentive.
- Keep a Life Ring or Shepherd’s Crook NearbyThis lifesaver can quickly pull someone from the pool. Always check that it is in good condition.
- Fence and AlarmsMake sure your pool is protected by a fence. You may even want to add an alarm system that can warn you of unintended use of the pool.
- Rope or Float LineThis can distinguish between the shallow and deep ends and serve as a visual reminder to young children not to pass.
- Lock Your Hot Tub CoverYoung children may not be tall enough to stand up in the hot tub or fully appreciate how quickly heated water can lead to dehydration or other accidents.
- Safely Store All Pool ChemicalsThese chemicals represent a danger not only to children but the adults who use them. Find a safe storage area and handle them properly.
- Cover Pool DrainsSuction entrapment can lead to death. Make sure all drains are properly installed with certified covers. Periodically check to ensure that they are not damaged.
With these simple steps, you can increase the safety of your pool or hot tub, without any loss in the fun and joy they bring.
- CDC,gov, 2017
- The information in this material is not intended as legal advice. Please consult legal or insurance professionals for specific information regarding your individual situation.
The content is developed from sources believed to be providing accurate information. The information in this material is not intended as tax or legal advice. It may not be used for the purpose of avoiding any federal tax penalties. Please consult legal or tax professionals for specific information regarding your individual situation. This material was developed and produced by FMG Suite to provide information on a topic that may be of interest. FMG, LLC, is not affiliated with the named broker-dealer, state- or SEC-registered investment advisory firm. The opinions expressed and material provided are for general information, and should not be considered a solicitation for the purchase or sale of any security. Copyright 2019 FMG Suite.